Albert Taylor 2009 - Passport in Time

Go to content

Main menu:

Previous Projects > States G-L
Albert Taylor Cabin Restoration

Caribou-Targhee National Forest, Idaho, 2009
by Richard Newton, District Ranger & Patrick Raley, District Archaeologist

Passport in Time After Action Report
August 14, 2009

The Dubois Ranger District/Caribou-Targhee National Forest recently completed a 5-day Passport in Time (PIT) project from August 10th to August 14th at the Albert Taylor cabin. During the week, 8 PIT volunteers peeled 28 logs, replaced 3 crown ends and 2 sill logs, removed the front porch and constructed new framing for the completion of a new porch next year. Additionally, PIT volunteers poured 13 concrete piers and completed rock work and masonry.

The PIT volunteers traveled to the project from as far as California, Colorado, Connecticut, Montana, South Carolina, Utah and Idaho. They contributed 348 hours of work and, when valued as a GS-5, their efforts totaled over $6,700.00. During the week, Will Reed (Regional Archaeologists for the Intermountain Region) visited the project. Additionally, Dr. Mike Beckes (former Regional Archaeologist for the Northern region and one of the founders of PIT) participated in the project for three days. Also of special note, Ed Taylor (the son of the cabin's original builder, Albert Taylor) visited the project for two days. Ed wa extremely pleased with the efforts of the U.S. Forest Service and the PIT volunteers in restoring his former family cabin.

We were fortunate to have Channel 6 News from Idaho Falls visit the project and interview Patrick Raley (District Archaeologist for the Dubois District) and Loren Ross (a veteran PIT volunteer from CA). The reported story was accurate and reflected well on the U.S. Forest Service and the Passport in Time program.

The PIT volunteers and staff were lodged at Steel Creek Campground a short walk from the Albert Taylor cabin. A shower station was offered each night and breakfast, lunch and dinner were provided daily by Robin Robinette and Amber Christianson. Overall the accommodations and meals were excellent, cultivating the high morale and productivity of the volunteers. Each day began at 8 a.m. with a morning meeting and safety briefing and the work day ended at 5 p.m. Tailgate safety sessions were conducted daily, throughout the day, especially as new tasks were undertaken. All duties were conducted safely and the project concluded without any accidents or injuries. The first Albert Taylor cabin Passport in Time project was extremely productive and successful. The District hopes to undertake similar projects in the coming years.
Back to content | Back to main menu